Thursday, August 8, 2013

So I worked in a Liquor Store...



For the last couple months of The Suck I found pseudo-gainful employment in a local liquor store. My last day was yesterday. I haven't mentioned it much through any of my social media because, well, people don't really write home about that sort of thing. It has however paid the bills in the interim time leading up to my grown-up job, and is overall a pretty sweet gig as part-time work goes (and hopefully the last part time work I ever do). I work with about four other people, some of whom were pretty cool people. My boss, who may be some strange alien in people skin is actually a really cool guy, and great to work for (usually), he's just, uh, strange. Working there, however, did also have some drawbacks. The list goes about as follows:

Pros:
Employee discount on some of my favorite products to put in mah body
Having a store all to myself most of the time
No wretched, 'folksy' uniform to wear (like another part-time job I worked in the past)
Chairs
If I got too hot, I could always spend a minute or two in a walk in cooler.
A water cooler!
How many other part-time jobs let you have food delivered to work whenever the hell you want?
Due to the short-term nature of my employment, pay in cash.
The extreme joy I get from shutting people down for expired/missing/clearly-not-yours-you're-not-even-asian IDs.
This is a lengthy one, but one I think everyone can relate to. When I sell people something I almost always say "Enjoy!" as they leave. They almost always in turn say "You too!" even though I am almost certainly not going to be sharing their booze with them. We've all been in that situation, whether at a restaurant or movie theater or liquor store, we've been there, and it sucks. Once I realized I could create this situation for others, well.
This:
Why are you so perfect?

Cons:
The Customers (click both of the words)
Having a store all to myself most of the time
Too many six-legged companions in the store come late evening
The music; unless you're really fond of the entire discography of Lynyrd Skynyrd and AC/DC
Our broken A/C
The propensity of some customers, usually a certain sort of individual, to share with me their entire life stories/personal tragedies/life greatest hits stories.

Wanting to give people advice on awesome things to drink, but realizing 98.8% of people buy NaturalKeyWeiserMiller Lite.

So as the list may show, it's got its ups and downs, but overall I thought it was a pretty good way to pass the time. Honestly, in retrospect, I wish I had worked there, or a place like it, for the duration of my time in college instead of where I did. Oh well, it was a good way to spend a couple months and an even better way to earn money for my rapidly accumulating expenses (more on that later). This song seems to fit well with the store, and is one of my favorites from the time period:


No comments:

Post a Comment