Thursday, August 8, 2013

The Pseudo-Suck

Okay, so let's make it clear. I've got a great job that I start a week from Monday. I have a new apartment that I love and a new bunny I love a little more.That said, life is uh, tricky right at the moment. I've come to realize that in between the oft-mentioned Suck and the Post-Suck there is the 'Pseudo-Suck' which is largely defined by the process of uprooting one's entire life in order to move into the next phase of life. This means renting an apartment, setting up utilities, getting furniture, and driving all over kingdom-come to do these things. Some of these things I've never done on my own before and am having to learn very, very quickly, which hopefully will not end in disaster.

Basically everyday

It's an expensive process that comes right after a period characterized by unemployment. See the problem? The Pseudo-Suck is a mix of hope, frustration, and knowledge that the worst is over; essentially Post-War Europe. It's like 'Oh you need to buy these sofas and this table and a futon and set up the internet and I'm like:


Example. Here's what my last few days looked like.
Friday: Drive to Champaign to retrieve three bookcases ($40) and 1 futon ($25) for the new apartment. 3 hours.
Saturday: Drive to Algonquin to get a new bun (failed) get cage ($10) and retrieve table, tv and lamps from ladyfriend's house. Gas ($30). 13 hours.
Sunday: Drive to Champaign to get entertainment center ($35). Four hours.
Monday: Drive to Lonedell, MO to get bun ($25) and bun equipment ($30). Gas ($30). 7 hours.
Tuesday: Go to Springfield to do ALL THE UNPACKING. Start internet service ($100). 5 hours.

I mean obviously in the end it will be worth it, a new place that's mine-all-mine, a little fuzz ball to share it with, and all the used furniture a guy could ever want. It's just the getting there that's extraordinarily difficult. Also, there has been a rabbit on my back for about 75% of this post's writing. Because it's where about 3/4s of my current furniture and shit comes from, this song will top off the post. (sorry, I know it's been done to death a bit)


No comments:

Post a Comment